Special K breakfast cereal opens a Tweet shop
The History (and Future) of PR, according to Richard Edelman
He identifies five ways PR must change:
- Advise clients on how to communicate around the media cloverleaf (social, hybrid, owned and traditional). Take on the major issues of the day and prove performance through transparency.
- Aim to have the dominant creative idea. The stranglehold of advertising on the marketer is now loosened.
- Be comfortable with interpreting data and insist on using it. Offer clients fresh insights that lead to great ideas. Generate true discussions and learn from communities of shared interest. Find new opinion formers, passionate consumers, social activists and empowered employees in the inverted pyramid of influence.
- Show, don’t just tell. Harness the power of video and photos …(including) deeper, more informative visuals, such as infographics.
- Find the balance between global and local. Shape global reputations, but remember PR is inherently local.
And, finally, for those of you who envied the man who got the best job in the world…. Here’s the sting in the tale